Johannesburg is geographically fairly centrally located in South Africa, and as the biggest urban conurbation it’s also the largest transport hub – for local, cross-border and international travel.
More international carriers fly here than any other city in southern Africa, and there are direct flights to most African cities, New York, Sao Paolo, Buenos Aires, the major European cities, the Gulf, Mumbai, Singapore, Hong Kong, Bangkok and three Australian cities. London is an 11-hour flight away, and the time zone is close to Central European Time.
Within South Africa it’s worth popping online to compare prices between discount carriers like Kulula and Mango. The regular airlines often offer competitive prices so don’t forget to check them out too. Remember that peak times are more expensive, so try and plan your flying during the week and during the day. Durban is an hour’s flight, Port Elizabeth 90 minutes and Cape Town 2 hours.
Buses offer a cheaper way to get to many destinations within South Africa and beyond. The country’s road infrastructure is excellent and the luxury bus liners are comfortable and relaxed, but distances can be big. This is also worth bearing in mind if hiring a car – but all major highways lead to Johannesburg, so your journey should be easy to plan.
Gautrain is a rapid transit railway system in Gauteng which links Johannesburg, Pretoria, and OR Tambo International Airport. It was built to relieve the traffic congestion between Johannesburg and Pretoria and offer commuters a alternative to road transport.
- British Airways | t 011 441 8600 | www.britishairways.co.za
- Kulula | t 086 158 5852 | www.kulula.co.za
- Mango | 086 116 2646 | www.mango.co.za
- SAA | t 086 135 9722 | www.flysaa.co.za
- City to City | t 086 158 9282 | www.translux.co.za
- Greyhound | t 011 276 8500 | www.greyhound.co.za
- Intercape | t 086 128 7287 | www.intercape.co.za
- SA Roadlink | t 011 333 2223 | www.saroadlink.co.za
- Translux | t 011 774-3333 | www.translux.co.za
- Gautrain | t 0800 428 87246 | http://www.gautrain.co.za/
- Blue Train | t 012 315 4000 | www.bluetrain.co.za
- Premier Classe | t 011 773 7483 | www.premierclasse.co.za
- Rovos Rail | t 012 315 8242 | www.rovos.com **
- Shosholoza Meyl | t 011 774 4555 | www.shosholozameyl.co.za